March 07, 2006

a slow, deep breath...

There are always times when people feel they've pushed, or have been pushed, to the a peak and then at the end there's the collapse. This doesn't necessarily mean there was success or victory or even the opposite. I wouldn't even think it means a person has been pushed to potential. There are just times when a person, for a specific period of time, has just peaked in that moment. And for the cliche kicker, I think I'm in one of those cycles and on the down slope. Not necessarily due to blogging but it is part of the equation.

Between the neverending election, the outcome, the fallouts, etc. I have found myself in a serious slow period of inspiration and motivation to blog. It's not that I haven't wanted to write but I have found many of the things I've wanted to say held a greater tone of anger and cynicism than usual. And neither of these would really lead to productive or relevant things to say. I look at guys like Cherniak and Wudrick and lately many of their posts have carried a very negative and angry tone. I mean no offense to either one of these guys, I consider both to have very significant and meaningful places in the Canadian political blogosphere but I can't help wondering what is pushing their posts to be so negative as of late?

Cherniak, for example, has done some posting about his thoughts on the NDP and recently the Green Party. None of these posts seem to be taken very seriously, especially the NDP ones, and provoked a lot of backlash (see the comments). The blacklash was as much for his misrepresentations as it was for his nonsense. They amounted to nothing more than tangents. Wudrick hasn't been much better. Where his posting once made me think he could be one the greatest opponents of the Liberals and NDP if he were ever to get into politics seriously, they now just make me think that he's lost in the ideology of the right, floating blind. With the audience that both of these guys command there is a great opportunity for them to seriously contribute - like they once did - instead of just throwing out blind-partisan commentary.

This is just my opinion and maybe I'm way off base and misreading them but at this point I'm calling it like I see it. The point is though that I didn't want to get into that. That is why for the last while I have been taking a slow, deep breath from writing anything serious. I don't always agree that negative commentary produces relevance in the discussions that are needed to contribute to and produce knowledge and truth. And isn't that really the ultimate goal; knowledge and truth? To find the answers that are required, to push ourselves forward, to create the best situation for all of us, isn't it knowledge and truth that we need. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive enough to think perfection is going to be found within my lifetime or ever quite possibly but I am idealistic enough to believe we can produce better than we currently have and are in. And it's because of this ideal of mine, posting will be light for the next while until I can find my line of sight once again and push forward, hopefully in a more meaningful and productive way.

In the meantime, if you're interested, you can visit my newest project. Amazingly enough, I do have interests beyond politics. My most recent interest has been going into my photoblog, Finding Focus. It's a work in progress and only in the beginning stages, but I hope people find it enjoyable nonetheless.

No comments:

Quotes from people smarter than me...

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich" ~ JFK

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. " ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " ~ Benjamin Franklin

"First it is necessary to stand on your own two feet. But the minute a man finds himself in that position, the next thing he should do is reach out his arms. " ~ Kristin Hunter

"When you're a mayor and you have a problem you blame the provincial government. If you are provincial government and you have a problem you blame the federal government. We don't blame the Queen any more, so once in a while we might blame the Americans." ~ Jean Chretien

"Which is ideology? Which not? You shall know them by their assertion of truth, their contempt for considered reflection, and their fear of debate." ~ John Ralston Saul

"It is undoubtedly easier to believe in absolutes, follow blindly, mouth received wisdom. But that is self-betrayal." ~ John Ralston Saul

"Everybody dies, Tracey. Someone's carrying a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is to die of old age before it finds you." ~ Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly, Episode 12)

Google