October 19, 2005

NetSweeper Put Me Out with the Trash (and Progressive Bloggers)

I had some time this morning, before school started, so I decided to load up my blog. I often use my blog as a way to easily access other blogs such as Kinsella's or the Progressive Bloggers and Canadian Conversation collectives. However, Netsweeper, our school board's internet filtering system, has put me in their Global Deny list. In other words, I'm banned from the education system in which I work for. I'm sure it's because I have this post that plainly uses a racist term. While the post itself is not racist material, the term is probably just automatically picked up by a bot of some sort and added my blog to its list. The post even explains that the expert that was on the Oprah show, which the post is based on, says the term should be just used instead of saying something like 'the N-word'. If you're using such a 'discreet' way of saying it, you have essentially already said and thought it. There is no point in hiding what it is. Thus, I used it in my post. And I assume that is the reason for my banning as opposed to 'course language' because I can still load up Kinsella's site which contains much more cursing then my blog does. I think it's unfortunate that the system is so indiscriminate because there are other sites that are also banned but would be great for my computer classes, especially when I get into Weblogs and journalism/media research. One site that would have been useful but is also banned... Progressive Bloggers. That's right, PB is banned. However, it is not under the global deny list, Progressive Bloggers is listed as an Occult site and therefore banned. Who knew when I woke up this morning that I would be considered both a racist and a member of the occult? This morning has been enlightening to say the least!

1 comment:

Scott Tribe said...

Wow.. I knew all the folks at Prog Blog were considered dedicated people.. but I didnt think we qualified as being occultists ;)

Can that problem be resolved? (Unless they really do think we're occultists).

Quotes from people smarter than me...

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich" ~ JFK

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. " ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " ~ Benjamin Franklin

"First it is necessary to stand on your own two feet. But the minute a man finds himself in that position, the next thing he should do is reach out his arms. " ~ Kristin Hunter

"When you're a mayor and you have a problem you blame the provincial government. If you are provincial government and you have a problem you blame the federal government. We don't blame the Queen any more, so once in a while we might blame the Americans." ~ Jean Chretien

"Which is ideology? Which not? You shall know them by their assertion of truth, their contempt for considered reflection, and their fear of debate." ~ John Ralston Saul

"It is undoubtedly easier to believe in absolutes, follow blindly, mouth received wisdom. But that is self-betrayal." ~ John Ralston Saul

"Everybody dies, Tracey. Someone's carrying a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is to die of old age before it finds you." ~ Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly, Episode 12)

Google