October 11, 2005

Is This the Christian Side of Bush?

I'll admit, I'm not the most knowledgeable or stereotypical Christian. I don't have verses memorized, I don't attend church (though I don't believe you need to), I hold many views that conflict with the views of the mainstream. However, I do believe in the fundamentals and I do believe the best example of how a Christian should live their life is one modelled after that of Jesus. In my opinion, the big What Would Jesus Do? (WWJD) movement that was popular amongst Christian youth was amazing. I also believe I know enough that when a man who claims he's a Christian, who goes as far as saying God talks to him or at least gives him clear direction, but believes torture is permissable is either a liar when it comes to faith or he's not talking about the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God. If he is the God-fearing man he claims to be, he is definitely not afraid enough. How any American that claims to be a believer could support this man is beyond me. I understand that with some areas, such as the environment and even in terms of social programs, there is a grey area in the scriptural interpretation and how we should treat such areas. However, I don't believe torture, under any circumstances, would be a choice that Jesus would go with.

No comments:

Quotes from people smarter than me...

"If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich" ~ JFK

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. " ~ Martin Luther King Jr.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " ~ Benjamin Franklin

"First it is necessary to stand on your own two feet. But the minute a man finds himself in that position, the next thing he should do is reach out his arms. " ~ Kristin Hunter

"When you're a mayor and you have a problem you blame the provincial government. If you are provincial government and you have a problem you blame the federal government. We don't blame the Queen any more, so once in a while we might blame the Americans." ~ Jean Chretien

"Which is ideology? Which not? You shall know them by their assertion of truth, their contempt for considered reflection, and their fear of debate." ~ John Ralston Saul

"It is undoubtedly easier to believe in absolutes, follow blindly, mouth received wisdom. But that is self-betrayal." ~ John Ralston Saul

"Everybody dies, Tracey. Someone's carrying a bullet for you right now, doesn't even know it. The trick is to die of old age before it finds you." ~ Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly, Episode 12)

Google